Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Sliders

Summer is here! Pulled BBQ Jackfruit sliders are a perfect thing to make for summer bbq's for both your vegan, and non vegan friends, alike! This is another recipe, where you just need to learn the basic technique of the dish, then you can make it countless ways. Jackfruit is so versatile, and is going to take on the flavour of your sauce, but it has the texture of a pulled pork or chicken. You can make some amazing tacos, burritos, sliders, etc....... Just use that beautiful imagination of yours! This recipe, makes a yummy, sweet, smoky, and spicy jackfruit.

Let's grab some ingredients:
  • Canned jack fruit
  • onion
  • garlic
  • bbq sauce
  • ancho chili powder (optional)
  • Chipotle chili powder (optional)
  • liquid smoke
  • veggie broth
  • vegan mayo
  • slaw veggies (I bought a bag of slaw mix- cabbage and carrots)
  • apple cider vinegar
  • organic, unrefined sugar
  • salt
  • pepper
  • dill pickle chips
  • slider rolls (be sure to check carefully for a roll that does not contain milk or eggs! Silder rolls often contain dairy. It was the hardest part of my shopping)
  • peach jam

I buy canned jackfruit. It looks like this:
I drain and rinse the can. It looks like this:
Then I break up the jackfruit a bit with my fingers, so it looks like this:
I sliced up a whole sweet vidalia onion and sauteed with 5 cloves of minced garlic in some vegetable broth. Like this:
Cook until onions are nice and translucent. Then add in your jackfruit. At this point, I added some ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, salt, black pepper and about a tablespoon of liquid smoke. Add your spices to taste. I like things spicy! Use any other spices or substitutes you wish! I really wanted a smoky and sweet flavour today. I added in enough veggie broth to almost cover the jackfruit. Then I covered and simmered, stirring every now and then,
While this is simmering away, I made my cole slaw. For mayo, I use the Just Mayo vegan mayonnaise.
I take my grated slaw veggies, and threw in a few tablespoons of the mayo, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of organic and unrefined sugar, salt and pepper. Your basic cole slaw recipe. Adjust to how you like it.
When jackfruit has cooked for about twenty minutes, I take a potato masher to it, and get it broken up even more. Like this:
Now the fun part. I added some bottled bbq sauce. Use whichever one you like. I added about a 1/2 a cup to a cup of sauce for the each can of jackfruit I am cooking. I happen to be obsessed with the Palisade Peaches here in Colorado, so I also added a few healthy spoonfuls of Palisade peach jam! I love the flavor of peach in with my bbq sauce. Stir over heat until incorporated and hot throughout. Taste and adjust accordingly. It will look like this:


Now take your slider buns, and first put down a layer of dill pickle chips, then some jackfruit, top with a dollop of slaw, then your top bun. Make a bunch of these! They will disappear quickly!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Cilantro Lime and Barley Soup

Okay. Let's make some soup. I got a hankering for this soup, that I created while doing a heavy metal detox a couple years ago. Waa...